Security Bulletin - "Modified Petya" / "GoldenEye" Ransomware
28th June 2017
Yesterday evening some countries (including the UK) fell victim to a modified strain of Ransomware – so far named as "Modified Petya" and "GoldenEye".
To help minimise the risk of attack to you and your contacts, we recommend sharing the below points:
- Abide to the common sense rule of never open attachments from senders you do not recognise.
- Always hover over a link in an email to verify the actual URL, before clicking the link.
- Never click on a link within an email from a sender you do not recognise or does not look genuine.
- Contact us or your IT team as soon as you notice files are not opening correctly or have an unusual file extension.
- Contact us or your IT team if you notice a text file in every folder with instructions on how to pay the Bitcoin ransom.
- Contact us or your IT team if you notice an unusual program on your computer screen informing you that files have been encrypted.
We shall of course be monitoring this security threat closely and updating through the normal channels.
If you have any questions or would like any further discussion, please feel free to visit us on www.hostmyoffice.co.uk, call us on 03333 110 020 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Simon & The Host My Office team.